Top Layoffs week ended 8-27:
Job cuts were way, way down this week as only 23 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees – this is down from 60-70 per week during most of 2010.
Even though Government topped the list, total government entities announcing layoffs were way down as only 4 announced job cuts (compared to as many as 30 in past weeks). Government layoffs were led by the City of Newark announcing layoff of 1,000 employees. Defense came in second as Northrup Grumman is trimming 642 employees.
Manufacturing was next as Whirlpool laid off between 600 – 1,000 workers. Retail company CVS/Caremark announced 400 job cuts.
Distribution wasn’t spared from layoffs as Professional Veterinary Products announced they would trim approximately 300 staff members.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 8/23/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 8/27/10:
- City of Newark NJ (1,000)
- Northrup Grumman, Pascagoula MS (642)
- Whirlpool, Ft. Smith AR (600 – 1,000)
- CVS Caremark, Birmingham AL (400)
- Professional Veterinary Products, Omaha NE (~ 300)
- Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, Minneapolis-St. Paul MN (200-250)
- HealthMarkets, North Richland Hills TX (180)
- St. John Knits, Irvine CA (129)
- USA Today, San Francisco CA (130)
- BAE Systems, Uniontown PA (124)
- Pfizer Pearl River Facility, Pearl River NY (115)
- Wells Fargo, Reading PA (92)
- Raytheon, Hampton VA (82)
- Aramark, St Louis MO (78)
- Meriter Health Services, Madison WI (57)
- ISS Facility Services, Springfield MO (50)
- American Snuff LLC, Memphis (45)
- Mirant Canal Generating Plant, Sandwich MA (< 45)
- Grand Traverse County, Traverse City MI (< 41)
- The City of Akron OH (40)
- The Seattle Department of Planning and Development, Seattle WA (< 40)
- Red Storm Entertainment, Cary NC and San Francisco CA (38)
- Sutter Medical Centers, Sacramento CA (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Career Changers: Email phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar “Accelerate Your Job Search – tools you can use”.
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 – Page 2 Top Layoffs week ended 8-13-10:Even though Government topped the list, total government entities announcing...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-20-10 – Page 2 Top Layoffs week ended 8-20:Even though Government topped the list, total government entities announcing...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-25-10 – Page 2 Top Layoffs week ended 6-25:Government topped the list as Federal plus 18 state/local governmental units...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-18-10 – Page 2 Top Layoffs week ended 6-18:Government topped the list as Federal plus 20 state/local governmental units...|