“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” … Albert Einstein
I speak to frustrated job seekers every day, people who have been looking for a career change for a while. Sometimes a month … sometimes over a year.
In particular, older workers blame a broken system and age bias. I agree…the hiring process in most companies is dysfunctional. There is age bias. It’s unfair.
But this broken system can give the smart job seeker an unfair advantage. Would you like to know how to exploit the cracks?
I’m surprised that most don’t. Many job seekers want to stay in their comfort zone of what they were taught many years ago, and what worked earlier in their careers – before electronic resumes and CareerBuilder … back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Not only do many job seekers do the same thing over and over, expecting different results … when the going gets tough, they do MORE of the same thing, expecting different results.
These are some examples of insanity that continue to be used by many job seekers.
- Expecting a recruiter will do their job search for them
- Believing that your network will provide value to you, even if you aren’t continuing to provide value to them
- Confusing a headhunter with a coach
- Continuing a job search strategy based on paper resumes
- Writing a one page, or even a two page resume
- Forgetting to describe how you’ve already solved a key problem your target company currently has
- Using your resume for more than a single job application
- Customizing cover letters, when they aren’t included in database searches
- Use Linkedin to talk to someone about their company, then turn it into an ambush interview
- Forgetting that your resume is just one more email in the hundreds your network contacts get each day
- Go to local Chamber of Commerce networking events, but looking for a Fortune 500 job
- Poor use of Resume Real Estate
- Not describing on your resume why a hiring manager should consider you over thousands of competitors
- Writing your resume as an autobiography
- Placing too much reliance on your network
- Describing about what you managed instead of what you accomplished
- Mailing or faxing a paper resume
- Defining yourself as a generalist
- Blaming the system, instead of changing your tactics to beat the system
- Applying for more than 20 jobs per week
- Junk mailing or email spamming your resume to thousands of recipients
- Forgetting that your voice mail is just one more voice mail in the hundreds your contacts get each day
Ask yourself honestly, are you using any of these?
If it’s time for you to stop the insanity and change your tactics to try something new, join one of my complimentary webinars to learn a better way.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|The Definition Of Job Search Insanity: Best of reCareered “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”… attributed...||Clinton Forum Projects Long Road Ahead For Unemployed The Clinton Global Initiative met in Chicago this week, with a focus on job creation. While former...||David Letterman’s Top 10 Reasons Your Job Search Is Frustrating Well, ‘ya know, this is a little disturbing…The category tonight, Top 10 Reasons Your Job Search...||See How Easily You can Master Non-Verbal Interviewing: Best of reCareered – Page 2 What The Experts Say:So I talked to a few experts in workplace Non-Verbal Communications, who gave some...|