Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 3-26-10.
For the past week, government, health care, financial, retail, and food employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Government led the retreat with NYC announcing an estimated 15,000 layoffs and The State of Tennessee announcing 1,000 layoffs. While many health care companies expand, NYC public hospitals announced closures that will also cut 3,900 employees, Spring Branch Medical Center cut 780 jobs, and Jackson Health Systems announced they were letting go 548 employees.
Sallie Mae expects to shed 2,500 jobs in Fishers and Muncie Indiana, due to recently passed changes in student loan programs that affect employment levels. Shaw Supermarkets announced they would cut an additional 1,200 positions throughout various Northeast locations.
JM Smucker, the nation’s top jelly manufacturer and maker of Folger’s coffee announced 700 layoffs due to plan consolidations, as the company works to streamline costs.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 3/22/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 3/26/10:
- New York City NY (est 15,000)
- NYC Public Hospitals, NYC NY (3,900)
- Sallie Mae, Fishers IN (2,500)
- Shaw Supermarkets, Various US (1,200)
- State of Tennessee, Nashville TN (1,000)
- Spring Branch Medical Center, Houston TX (720)
- J.M. Smucker Co, Various US (700)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Charlotte NC (600)
- Jackson Health Systems, Miami FL (548)
- Sisters of Mercy Health System, St. Louis MO (514)
- Live Nation Inc, Altanta GA and San Fransisco CA (500+)
- Whirlpool Corporation, Evansville IN (465)
- The Illinois State Police, Springfield IL (460)
- Fresno County CA (330)
- BP Solar, Frederick MD Facility (320)
- Woodbridge Schools NJ (280)
- Burlington County NJ (270)
- Omaha Public Schools, Omaha NE (224)
- Monroe Public Schools, Monroe MI (200)
- Ford Motor Credit, Franklin TN (200)
- The Prince William County Schools, Fairfax VA (200)
- Letterkenny Army Depot’s High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), Chambersburg PA (200)
- Beach High School, Savannah GA (200)
- UBS, Various US (200)
- BAE Systems, Jefferson City TN (200)
- Milford CT Schools (169)
- Continental Airlines Inc, Various US (150)
- Indian Prairie District 204, Naperville IL (145)
- Synergy Business Management, Salamanca (130)
- Anderson Community Schools, Anderson IN (125)
- Kankakee School District, Kankakee IL (111)
- Buckeye Industrial Mining, Lisbon OH (>100)
- Cemex Inc, Wampum PA (100)
- The Hartford, Bloomfield CT (101)
- NADAP, NYC NY (98)
- Cessna Aircraft Co, Independence KS (95)
- Alvin C. York Institute, Jamestown TN (94)
- Sabic Innovative Plastics, Washington WV (80)
- Old Bridge High Schools Old Bridge NJ (79)
- Millstone nuclear power plant, Waterford CT (75)
- Organic Detroit, Detroit MI (72)
- Production Paint Finishers Inc, Bradford OH (66)
- Kenco Logistics LLC, Ames TN (65)
- Apache Junction Unified School District, Apache Junction AZ (62)
- Brown University, Providence RI (60)
- The Richland County Sheriff’s Office, Mansfield OH (60)
- Edwardsville School District, Edwardsville IN (60)
- Mishawaka School Board, Mishawaka IN (54)
- West Haven School District CT (54)
- Lawrence NJ School District, Lawrenceville NJ (50)
- Stevens Point School District, Stevens Point WI (<45)
- Brighton Area Schools, Brighton MI (44)
- AT&T; Jacksonville (43)
- Board of Cooperative Educational Services, Saratoga Springs NY (41)
- Owosso Public Schools, Owosso MI (40)
- West Morris Regional High School, West Morris NJ (32)
- City of Indio CA (30)
- City of Cheyenne Wyoming (30)
- CRM Holdings, Poughkeepsie NY (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar “Accelerate Your Job Search – tools you can use”.
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|