Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 4-2-10.
For the past week financial, health care, government, manufacturing, and business service employers announced the largest layoffs.
Read more …
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
This week there were fewer layoff announcements than in prior weeks this year. It’s unclear if this is an early sign of job market stabilization, or just due to the Easter holiday.
Financial services led the retreat with Sallie Mae announcing an estimated 2,500 layoffs due to new legislation to streamline the student loan industry. While many health care companies expand, Boston Scientific announced worldwide layoffs to affect a maximum 1,300 employees, while K-V Pharmaceuticals cut 289 jobs.
Government announced cutbacks with San Jose CA announcing it will shed 878 jobs, The State of Tennessee revealed 853 layoffs, and DeKalb GA County School School District revealed job cuts affecting 427 employees. World Color Pressed announced at least 700 layoffs, while Grass Valley Group is cutting 625 jobs.
TeleTech announced cutbacks of 585 business process outsourcing employees from their Ohio operations.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 3/29/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 4/2/10:
- Sallie Mae, Various US (2,500)
- Boston Scientific, Various Worldwide (<1,300)
- City of San Jose CA (878)
- State of Tennessee, Various TN (853)
- World Color Press, Dyersburg TN (>700)
- Grass Valley Group, Nevada City CA (625)
- TeleTech Holdings Inc, Amherst Township OH (585)
- Bigg’s, Cincinnati OH (547)
- The DeKalb County School District, Decatur GA (427)
- UPS, Various US (300)
- K-V Pharmaceutical Co., St. Louis MO (289)
- Chicago Public Schools, Chicago IL (280)
- East St. Louis Schools, East St. Louis IL (250)
- Hawaii Department of Human Services, Honolulu HI (228)
- City of North Las Vegas NV (204)
- Suntron Corp, Newberg OR (190)
- Capital Blue Cross, Harrisburg PA (182)
- Pass & Seymour/Legrand, Concord NC (163)
- Hill-Rom Holdings Inc, Batesville IN (160)
- Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding, Pascagoula MS (150)
- Pfizer, Pearl River NY (123)
- Frederick County MD (102)
- Advanstar Communications, Duluth MN (100)
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, Chattanooga TN (93)
- West Orange NJ Schools, West Orange NJ (84)
- University of Maine (74)
- Asbury Park Schools NJ (>60)
- RealNetworks, Seattle WA (60)
- ConMed, Utica NY (60)
- AllState Insurance, Carrollton TX (58)
- St. Rose Dominican Hospitals, Las Vegas NV (57)
- Morris School District, Morristown NJ (54)
- ACS, Utica NY (50)
- Greenheck Fan, Schofield WI (49)
- Holcim Trident Cement Plant, Belgrade MT (47)
- Gates Chili Central School District, Gates NY (47)
- Ohio University, Athens OH (47)
- ITT Corp, Roanoke VA (45)
- Triad School District, Troy IL (41)
- Los Lunas School District, Los Lunas NM (40)
- Jostens Inc, Shelbyville TN (39)
- City of Kansas City MO (35 – 40)
- Daktronics, Brookings SD (35)
- Architectural Glazing Technologies, Sanford ME (35)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar “Accelerate Your Job Search – tools you can use”.
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|