Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 4-30-10.
For the past week manufacturing, transportation, government, energy, and automotive employers announced the largest layoffs.
Read more …
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Manufacturing topped the list this week as Mills Pride/Masco Cabinet in Waverly OH announced over 1,200 layoffs this week and Navistar cut 415 in Indianapolis IN. A number of transportation companies and organizations disclosed layoffs this week, led by the NYC Metropolitan Transportation Authority and UPS (Santa Maria CA).
Government was next as 25 local governmental units and school districts announced layoffs this week, affecting thousands of workers, lead by Durham Public Schools announcement of 323 job cuts. We may see more of this as we approach the end of the school year as well as government fiscal years – Governments and school boards have to finalize budgets for next year and announcing related layoffs.
FPL announced 300 energy industry layoffs that will take place throughout Florida. Automotive cut additional positions, with Robert Bosch announcing 222 layoffs in Knoxville TN and Exide Technologies cut 128 in Laureldale PA.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 4/26/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 4/30/10:
- Mills Pride/Masco Cabinet, Waverly OH (1,216)
- NYC Metropolitan Transportation Authority (672)
- Navistar, Indianapolis IN (415)
- Durham Public Schools, Durham NC (323)
- Chesterfield County School District, Chesterfield VA (304)
- FPL, Various FL (300)
- Broward Sheriff’s Office, Broward County FL (290)
- ACS Government Solutions, London KY, Monticello KY, and Richmond KY (286)
- Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee WI (260)
- UPS, Santa Maria CA (260)
- Sysco, Columbus OH (251)
- Robert Bosch LLC, Knoxville TN (222)
- Pilgrim’s Pride Corp, Pittsburg TX and Atlanta GA (213)
- Greene Valley Development Center, Greeneville TN (210)
- Covance Inc, Princeton NJ (200)
- Worcester Public School District, Worchester MA (147)
- Stellar Relay, Salida CA(147)
- City of Atlanta, GA (129)
- Exide Technologies, Laureldale PA (128)
- Boeing, Puget Sound WA (125)
- McWane Cast Iron Pipe Co, North Birmingham AL (117)
- Port Huron School District, Port Huron MI (117)
- Pitney Bowes Government Services Quantico, Arlington VA (116)
- Kentucky State Courts, Frankfort KY (113)
- Johnson County Schools, Smithfield NC (113)
- Bakersfield City Schools, Bakersfield CA (111)
- Fiserv (BillMatrix Corp.), Dallas TX and Irving TX (108)
- West Windsor-Plainsboro School District, Princeton Junction NJ (105)
- KDH Defense Systems, Johnstown PA (100+)
- Abington Memorial Hospital, Abington PA (100)
- Amway, Ada MI (100)
- Land O’Lakes, Tulare CA (100)
- Cianbro, Brewer ME (100)
- Hostess, Akron OH (100)
- Davis School District, Farmington UT (100)
- Cannondale Bicycle Corp, Bedford PA (92)
- Central Pacific Bank, Honolulu HI (90)
- TurboCare Inc, Dallas TX (81)
- Sands Casino, Bethlehem PA (80)
- Pleasantville School District, Pleasantville NJ (78)
- Lear Corp, Warren OH (74)
- Des Moines Public Schools, Des Moines IA (74)
- Minnesota Mental Health Agency, Various MN (72)
- Empire BlueCross BlueShield, Walkill NY (73)
- Goodyear, Fayetteville NC (70)
- City of Atlanta GA (64+)
- Lawrence Public Schools, Lawrence MA (60 – 70)
- Hancock Bank, Panama City FL (57)
- Kinex Medical, Waukesha WI (56)
- Allstate Insurance Co, Brookfield WI (54)
- Stanislaus County Sheriff Department, Modesto CA (52)
- Chrysler/Orlando Parts Distribution Center, Orlando FL (51)
- Accomack County School, Accomack VA (51)
- Gibraltar School District, Gibraltar MI (50)
- Eagle County School District, Vail CO (50)
- Brighton Area Schools, Brighton MI (50)
- Stanley Black & Decker, Jackson TN (40 – 50)
- Restaurant Associates at ABC Disney, New York NY (41)
- City of Sparks NV (41)
- Transit Authority of River City, Louisville KY (39)
- The Sheboygan Area School District, Sheboygan WI (36)
- City of Walnut Creek CA (35)
- Cleveland Heights-University Heights School, University Heights OH (34)
- Tupper Lake Central School District, Tupper Lake NY (30)
- The Utah Transit Authority, Salt Lake City UT (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar “Accelerate Your Job Search – tools you can use”.
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|