Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 9-3-10.
For the past week banking, agriculture, health care, manufacturing and defense employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 9-3:
Job cuts continued to stay down this week as only 36 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees – this is down from 60-70 per week during most of 2010.
Banking topped the list, as HomeEq services announced over 1,000 layoffs affecting it’s North Highlands Ca and Raleigh FL centers. Agriculture came in second as Monsanto is cutting 650-700 employees.
Health Care was next as the Metropolitan Jewish Geriatric Center is trimming over 500 workers and Baptist Medical Center laid off 186 employees. Auto Manufacturer General Motors announced 330 job cuts.
Defense wasn’t spared from layoffs as Northrup Grumman announced they would trim approximately 300 staff members spread across 2 locations, BAE announced 133 layoffs and General Dynamics announced cuts of 132.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 8/30/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 9/3/10:
- HomEq Services, North Highlands CA and Raleigh FL (1,166)
- Monsanto Corp, Various US (650-700)
- Metropolitan Jewish Geriatric Center (MJGC), Brooklyn NY (506)
- General Motors Powertrain, Flint MI (330)
- Northrop Grumman, Avondale LA and Tallulah LA (300)
- Aviat Networks, Durham NC (190)
- Baptist Medical Center, Jackson MS (186)
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, Chattanooga TN (140)
- BAE Systems, West Manchester Township PA and Aiken SC (133)
- General Dynamics, Westminster MD (132)
- City of Long Beach CA (130)
- URS Federal Services (Lear Siegler), Fort Hood TX (111)
- Overhead Door, Athens GA (111)
- City of Lynwood WA (100+)
- Danfoss Chatleff, Buda TX (94)
- Affiliated Computer Services, Atlanta GA (93)
- Moll Industries, Asheboro NC (91)
- Bank of America, Lincoln RI (89)
- The Deseret News, Salt Lake City UT (85)
- Raytheon, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton VA (82)
- Roseburg Forest Products, Dillard OR (70)
- Fiskars, Sauk City WI (65)
- Duro Bag Manufacturing, Hudson WI (63)
- Toshiba America Consumer Products, Wayne NJ (60)
- ShoreBank, Chicago IL (60)
- Skookum Fleet Management, Fort Lewis WA (50)
- SAIC, Piscataway NJ (49)
- Memorial Hospital, Gulfport MS (47)
- Grand Street Settlement, Brooklyn NY (44)
- Queens Library, Jamaica NY (44)
- Pied Piper Pet Foods, Hamlin TX (43)
- Spa Chakra Acquisition Corp, NYC NY (42)
- Hilton Hotels, Memphis TN (36)
- Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, Chester WV (35)
- Schneider Electric, Knightdale NC (30)
- TriMont Real Estate Advisors, Atlanta GA (30)
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|