Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 9-10-10.
For the past week food service, defense, health care, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 9-10:
Job cuts were way down the third week in a row as only 36 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees – this is about 1/2 of the pace most weeks of 2010.
Food Service topped the list, as Aramark services announced over 1,000 layoffs affecting its Baltimore employees at Oriole Park – preparing for a potential loss of the Oriole’s vendor contract. Defense came in second as Lockheed Martin is cutting 600 executives and BAE is laying off 300 workers at yet another of its plants, this one in West Chester OH.
Health Care was next as Columbia University at Harlem Hospital Center is trimming 593 workers, and NYC’s Health and Hospital Corporation announced a second round of 300 additional layoffs. Pharma companies Sanofi cut 412 and ZymoGenetics cut 320 employees, both due to post-merger cost cutting. .
Manufacturing wasn’t spared from layoffs as United Solar Ovonic announced they would trim approximately 285 staff members in Auburn Hills MI.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 9/7/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 9/10/10:
- Aramark at Oriole Park, Baltimore MD (613)
- Lockheed Martin, Bethesda MD (600)
- Columbia University at Harlem Hospital Center, New York NY (593)
- Sanofi Aventis US, Malvern PA (412)
- ZymoGenetics, Seattle WA (320)
- Health and Hospitals Corporation, NYC NY (300)
- BAE Systems, West Chester Township OH (300)
- United Solar Ovonic LLC, Auburn Hills MI (285)
- GE, Winchester VA (200)
- Harley-Davidson Inc, Menomonee Falls WI (200)
- Oregon Youth Authority, Salem OR (200)
- Tessada & Associates Inc, Houston TX (166)
- Mosaic Corp, Bradenton FL (143)
- ImClone Systems, Branchburg NJ (141)
- St. Michaels School, Tunkhannock PA (136)
- Bridgeview Aerosol, Bridgeview IL (136)
- The Consolidated Biscuit Co, Chattanooga TN (132)
- Karsten Homes/CMH Manufacturing, Breckenridge TX (130)
- Lonza Inc, Conshohocken PA (106)
- Long Island Rail Road, Jamaica NY (100)
- United Refrigeration Inc, Philadelphia PA (88)
- Siemens, Columbus OH (88)
- PNC Financial Services Group, Chicago IL (83)
- The City of Inglewood CA (80)
- Heritage Manor, Beardstown IL (72)
- America’s Best Bottled Water, Hauppauge NY (67)
- Deaconess Hospital of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH (65)
- Cruise West, Seattle WA (65)
- Kmart, Brooklawn NJ (63)
- The Daily Freeman, Kingston NY (61)
- NextTier Bank, Butler PA (57)
- AT&T, Wall Township NJ (50)
- The City of Pasco FL (43)
- NYSE Euronext, Brooklyn NY (37)
- Save Mart Supermarkets, Modesto CA (36)
- UMass Memorial Health Care, Worchester MA (70 – 80)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|