For the past week, technology, pharma, government, aerospace and banking employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 9-24:
Job cuts were down for the past four weeks as less than 40 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees – this is about 60% of the pace most weeks of 2010.
Technology topped the list, as Siemens IT Solutions announced over 4,200 worldwide layoffs. Pharma came in second as Abbott is cutting 3,000 staff worldwide and Bristol-Meyers Squibb announced it’s cutting 840 worldwide positions.
Government was next as New York State announced it’s trimming 2,000 positions statewide. Aerospace company Cessna is cutting 700 workers, while Hawker Beechcraft is laying off 350 employees, both from their respective Wichita KS facilities.
Banking rounded out the list as Bank of America announced up to 400 layoffs in various US locations.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 9/20/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 9/24/10:
- Siemens IT Solutions and Services, Various Worldwide (4,200)
- Abbott Laboratories, Various Worldwide (3,000)
- New York State, Various NY (2,000)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb, Various Worldwide (~ 840)
- Cessna Aircraft, Wichita KS (700)
- Bank of America, Various US (< 400)
- Hawker Beechcraft, Wichita KS (350)
- Mental Health Services, Baton Rouge LA (250)
- Ford Motor Company, Indianapolis IN (249)
- UC Berkeley’s Operational Excellence campaign, Berkeley CA (200)
- Waldbaum’s, West Hartford CT (195)
- Sea Ray, Palm Coast FL (170)
- Ericsson, Boulder CO (150)
- AT&T, New Haven CT & Reynoldsburg OH (246)
- Dillards, Coral Springs FL and Miami FL (128)
- City of Spokane WA (120)
- Broome County, Ninghamton NY (115)
- City of Fort Worth TX (102)
- Chevron Corp, Richmond CA (100)
- Lenoir Memorial Hospital, Kinston NC (100)
- Orion Technology, Anniston AL (94)
- Equistar Chemicals, Newton Square PA (93)
- Hamilton County, Cincinnati OH (85)
- Old Vineyard Behavioral Health Services, Winston-Salem NC (80+)
- StarTek, Greeley CO (76)
- Children’s Hospital and Health System, Milwaukee WI (75)
- Cumberland Heights Dependency Treatment Center, Nashville TN (63)
- DMI Furniture, Huntingburg IN (62)
- Grocery Haulers, Bronx NY (61)
- Lockheed Martin, Herndon VA (59)
- John Deere Seeding Group, Valley City N.D (55)
- State of Pennsylvania, Various PA (50)
- DC Entertainment, NYC NY (< 50)
- City of Salamanca NY (49)
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge MA (~45)
- Ocean Bank, Miami FL (38)
- Nortel Networks, Nashville TN (35)
- Coldwell Banker Devonshire Realty, Jacksonville FL (31)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 9-3-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week...|