Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 10-15-10.
For the past week government, insurance, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, and health care employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 10-15:
Government topped the list, as the State of New York announced 2,000 layoffs as the state continues struggling to meet its budget. Insurance was next as Aon announced 1,500-1,800 job cuts worldwide and US Fidelis had cutbacks of 663 employees in Missouri.
Manufacturing company Quad Graphics laid off 700+ workers as it closes its Dyersberg TN plant, while Avon is closing its Springdale OH plant, cutting 400 staff. Pharmaceuticals company Sanofi-Aventis announced more layoffs as the company is closing its Malvern PA plant affecting 412 workers.
Health Care rounded out the list as UMass Memorial Health Care is laying off 350 employees.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 10/11/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 10/15/10:
- State of New York, Various NY (2,000)
- Aon Corp, Various Worldwide (1,500 – 1,800)
- Quad Graphics, Dyersburg TN (700+)
- US Fidelis, Wentzville MO (663)
- Sanofi Aventis US, Malvern PA (412)
- Avon Products, Springdale OH (400)
- UMass Memorial Health Care, Worchester MA (350)
- BAE Systems, Sealy TX (350)
- United Space Alliance, Houston TX (320)
- Emerson Climate Technologies, Lebanon MO (250)
- Embassy Suites Hotel, NYC NY (250)
- Hines Nurseries LLC in Richmond Texas (160)
- GE Aviation, Albuquerque NM (140)
- University of California, Davis CA (136 – 194)
- Lake Lawn Resort, Delavan WI (126)
- Trane Inc, Fort Smith AR (109)
- BAE Systems, Anniston AL (107)
- Lonza, Conshohocken PA (106)
- Lake County, Crown Point IN (100+)
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene OR (100)
- Equistar Chemicals, Newtown Square PA (93)
- United Refrigeration, Philadelphia PA (88)
- Home Depot – Home Decorators Collection, Hazelwood MO (85+)
- Federal Mogul, Boyertown PA (73)
- CVS Caremark, Allegheny County PA (69)
- KB Home, Denver (66)
- NextTier Bank. Butler PA (57)
- Cargil, Topeka KS (52)
- City of Richmond KY (50)
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, Minneapolis MN (41)
- Beaumont Hospitals, Troy MI, Grosse Pointe MI and Royal OAK MI (40 – 50)
- Raven Software, Madison WI (40)
- Boeing, Wichita KS and Topeka KS (37)
- The Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library, Indianapolis IN (35 – 40)
- St Louis Fire Department, St Louis MO (30 – 60)
- Robomodo, Chicago IL (30 – 60)
- SurModics, Eden Prairie MN (30+)
- Seeds of Change, Santa Fe NM (30)
- Manitowoc County WI (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|