Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 10-22-10.
For the past week technology, government, entertainment, manufacturing and agricultural employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 10-22:
Technology topped the list, as Xerox announced 2,500 layoffs to streamline costs from its newly acquired ACS division. Government was next as the State of California announced it would layoff 1,000 janitors, and the Los Angeles Unified School District cut 990 employees.
Entertainment is feeling the pinch, as New York OTB sites are cutting an additional 500 workers. Manufacturing company Whirlpool is cutting its second shift, putting 400 Benton Harbor MI workers out of a job.
Finally, agriculture company Hines Nursery cut 256 workers as it struggles to find a way though bankruptcy and trying to hit profitability in the tough ornamental plant business.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 10/18/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 10/22/10:
- Xerox, Various US (2,500)
- State of California, Various CA (1,000)
- Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles CA (990)
- OTB, NYC NY (500)
- Whirlpool Corp. Marion Division , Benton Harbor MI (400)
- Hines Nurseries, Forest Grove OR and Richmond TX (256)
- Laurel Health System, Wellsboro PA (215)
- Tobyhanna Army Depot, Tobyhanna PA (150)
- Lake Lawn Resort, Delavan WI (126)
- Orange Lake Resorts, Orlando FL (120)
- Capistrano Ford, San Juan Capistrano CA (101)
- Associated Hygienic Products, Vancouver WA (101)
- CDM, Vancouver WA (100)
- Clariant, McHenry IL (100)
- Troste, Whitewater WI (87)
- CPMC Pacific & Davies Campus, San Francisco CA (84)
- Altron Inc, Laguna Nigue CA (79)
- Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania, Wilkes-Barre PA (75)
- Armstrong Hardwood Flooring, Center TX (73)
- Ashley Furniture Industries, Ecru MS (65)
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital, Northampton MA (60)
- SecurAmerica, Forsyth County NC (59)
- Saks Fifth Avenue Southampton NY and Sparks NV (55)
- Chevron Products Co, Richmond CA (55)
- Clarcor Air Filtration Products, Sacramento, CA (51)
- The Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, Monterey CA (50)
- Sacred Heart Medical Center and Holy Family Hospital, Spokane WA (46)
- Beanstalk, North Highlands CA (43)
- Braun Industries, Van Wert OH (40)
- ISP Stitching & Bindery Products, Racine WI (35)
- Bekaert Progressive Composites, Vista CA (35)
- Silgan Containers, Plover WI (31)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|