Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 11-5-10.
For the past week health care, manufacturing, biotech, telecommunications, financial service and government employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 11-5:
Health care topped the list, as Home Services Systems announced 2,065 layoffs when it lost its contract with the city of Astoria NY and Saint Barnabas Health Care cut 690 West Orange NJ staff. Manufacturing was next as Kohler Co announced it would layoff 750 workers to align with lower demand for home building and improvement supplies. Smurfit-Stone announced cuts of 450 employees as it emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Biotech company Biogen Idec is trimming 650 workers in MA and CA. Telecommunications company Clearwire is cutting 630 workers nationally until it can gain financing for additional deployment of it’s WiMax network.
Financial service continues to feel pain, as DJSP announced additional mortgage service layoffs from its Plantation FL facility. Finally, government wasn’t spared this week as The City of Phoenix announced 546 job cuts and Trenton NJ announced 328 employees would lose their jobs.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 11/1/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumoring layoffs for the week ended 11/5/10:
- Home Services Systems, Astoria NY (2,065)
- Kohler Co, Kohler WI (750)
- Saint Barnabas Health Care System, West Orange NJ (690)
- Biogen Idec, Weston MA and San Diego CA (650)
- Clearwire, Various US (630)
- DJSP Enterprises, Plantation FL (560)
- The City of Phoenix AZ (546)
- Smurfit-Stone Container Corp, Creve Coeur MO and Chicago IL (450)
- City of Trenton NJ (328)
- Protein Solutions, Chicago IL (309)
- Sitel, Erwin NY (300)
- Charles River Laboratories, Wilmington MA (300)
- Wells Fargo, Des Moines IA (250)
- Covance, Vienna VA (220)
- Rail Terminal Services, Chicago IL (210)
- Thomasville Furniture, Appomattox VA (200)
- Harrah’s Entertainment, Robinsonville MS (200)
- Tidewater Barge Company, Vancouver WA (200)
- Continental Structural Plastics, North Baltimore OH (197)
- Jack Cooper Transport Co, Louisville KY (195)
- Villa Olivia Country Club, Bartlett IL (187)
- United Space Alliance, Kennedy Space Center FL (171)
- NY Department of Enviornmental Conservation, Albany NY (150)
- Exel Inc, Auburn WA (146)
- Illinois Quadel Consulting, Chicago IL (124)
- Suzlon Group, Pipestone MN (110)
- General Electric Motors, Owensboro KY (109)
- Richmond Cold Storage, Suffolk VA (108)
- Hilton Worldwide, Memphis TN (101)
- Haskon Aerospace, Taunton MA (100+)
- TechCity, Ulster NY (100)
- Lids Team Sports, DeForest WI (100)
- Saint Clare’s Health System, Denville NJ (100)
- Namco Bandai of America, Santa Clara CA (90)
- Unicco, Wilson NJ (81)
- Alliant Techsystems, Plymouth MN (77)
- Armstrong World Industries, Lancaster PA (62)
- Acceleron Pharma, Cambridge MA (57)
- Ledger-Enquirer, Columbus GA (56)
- Park Center, Ft Wayne IN (53)
- First Commonwealth Bank, Indiana PA (42)
- Westchester County, Westchester NY (40)
- The Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library, Indianapolis IN (37)
- Hamilton Health Care System, Dalton GA (31)
- Benchmark Group, Rogers AR (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|