Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 11-19-10.
For the past week government, pharmaceutical, hospitality, defense and manufacturing employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top layoffs week ended 11-19:
Government topped the list, as New York City announced 6.500+ layoffs and the Pittsburgh Port Authority cut 550 positions. Pharmaceutical company Roche will drop 3,550 staff at throughout the US to cut costs in response to recent drug setbacks and as the pharma industry goes through global cost cutting.
Hospitality was next as Resorts International announced it would layoff over 2,000 Atlantic City employees and HMS Host cut 895 workers as it lost its John Wayne Airport food service contract. Tempus Resorts also cut 550 employees. Defense company Lockheed Martin is closing its Eagan MN communications manufacturing facility and cutting the 1,000 employee workforce.
Manufacturing company Marinette Marine is trimming 380 workers in its Marinette WI shipbuilding facility as Navy contract awards have been delayed. Bridgestone Americas reduced 425 workers as it announced it would close two plants.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 11/15/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 11/19/10:
- City of New York, NYC NY (6,500+)
- Roche, CA, CO, NJ, SC and WI (3,550)
- Resorts International Hotel, Atlantic City NJ (2,022)
- Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN (1,000)
- HMSHost, Los Angeles CA (895)
- Pittsburgh Port Authority, Pittsburgh PA (555)
- Tempus Resorts International, Celebration FL (550)
- Marinette Marine, Marienette WI (500)
- Bridgestone Americas, Muscatine IA and Novi MI (425)
- King County WA (400)
- City of Tucson AZ (>400)
- Clara Maass Continuing Care, Kearny NJ (357)
- BFI Waste Systems, San Carlos CA Closure (349)
- Wannado City, Sunrise FL (314)
- Bank of America, Wichita KS (310)
- Crystal Stairs, Los Angeles CA Layoff (259)
- Claim Jumper, Fresno CA, Torrance CA, City of Industry CA and Irvine CA (257)
- Dr. Pepper Snapple Group (7-Up), Maple Heights OH and Akron OH (250)
- Kensington Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Toms River NJ (227)
- Printpack, Greensburg IN (220)
- Rail Terminal Services, Chicago IL (210)
- Health Care Group, Escondido CA (208)
- Aetna, Various US (200)
- Chrysler Group, Kenosha WI (191)
- Barnes & Noble, NYC NY (171)
- New Jersey Network TV and Radio, Trenton NJ (170)
- Boeing Corp, Carson CA (165)
- DJSP Enterprises, Plantation FL (155)
- Exel, Auburn WA (146)
- Holiday Inn Select, Naperville IL (145)
- Southeastern Arizona Behavioral Health Services, Various AZ (140)
- NY Department of Environmental Conservation, Various NY (140)
- Illinois Quadel Consulting Corp, Chicago, IL (124)
- Litchfield Healthcare Center, Litchfield IL (121)
- Hooker Furniture Corp (Bradington-Young), Cherryville NC (121)
- HSBC Processing Services, Ponoma CA (100)
- Oshkosh Specialty Vehicles, Harvey IL and Calumet City IL (92)
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, Batavia IL (90)
- Tommy Hilfiger USA, Cranbury NJ (87)
- Weil-McLain, Michigan City IN (87)
- Ross Sand Casting, Orrville OH (86)
- Replogle Globes, Broadview IL (83)
- Canon Business Solutions, Lyndhurst NJ (80)
- Citrus Health Care, Tampa FL (73)
- Exel Inc, Bloomington CA (71)
- Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania, Wilkes-Barre PA (70)
- Letterkenny Army Depot, Chambersburg PA (70)
- Holcim, Catskill NY (70)
- Communication Services for the Deaf, Sioux Falls SD (64)
- A.D. Conner, Frankfort IL (62)
- Greatbatch Inc, Clarence NY (60 to 80)
- Thomson Reuters, Eagan MN (60)
- Bon-Ton Stores, Frederick MD (56)
- Asset Acceptance, Chicago IL (55)
- Gallant Greetings Corp, Schiller Park IL (54)
- Thomas & Herbert CVP, Chicago IL (54)
- Vineland Kosher Poultry, Vineland NJ (50)
- Cincinnati Bell, Cincinnati OH (50)
- National-Standard Co, Niles (> 50)
- SUNY College at Geneseo, Geneseo NY (45)
- Superior Beverage Group, Austintown OH (40)
- Empire State Plaza and Capitol Building, Albany NY (40)
- Ohio Valley Medical Center/East Ohio Regional Hospital, Wheeling WV and Martins Ferry OH (34)
- DC Entertainment, La Jolla CA Layoff (33)
- Sun Mountain Lumber, Butte MT (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|