Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 12-10-10.
For the past week retail, government, education, manufacturing and hospitality employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 12-10:
Retail topped the list, as TJ Maxx announced 2,400 layoffs to realign staff to slower recessionary sales. Government was next as NY State announced 900 job cuts, Idaho National Labratory slashed 600 jobs, and the State of Maryland laid off 500 employees.
Education company Kaplan Higher Education announced it would layoff 770 employees nationwide to reduce costs reacting to lower enrollment. Manufacturing company PGT announced job cuts of 468 staff as its demand is effected by the real estate slowdown, while Quad/Graphics announced a plant shutdown and 417 Mount Morris IL layoffs.
Hospitality is cutting costs, as Burger King is slashing over 413 management and administrative jobs throughout the US.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 12/6/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 12/10/10:
- TJ Maxx/A.J. Wright, Various US (4,400)
- NY State, Albany NY (900)
- Kaplan Higher Education, Various US (770)
- Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls ID (600)
- State of Maryland, Annapolis MD (500)
- PGT, Salisbury NC (468)
- Quad/Graphics, Mount Morris IL (417)
- Burger King Corporation, Various US (413)
- Pratt & Whitney, Cheshire CT (386)
- NCO Financial Systems, Hampton VA (368)
- NewPage, Whiting WI (360)
- ZipRealty, Charlotte NC, Raleigh NC and Kirkland WA (258)
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Various NY & NJ (200)
- Tampa Bay Academy, Tampa Bay FL (199)
- Sunoco, Delaware County PA and Philadelphia PA (175)
- National Envelope Corp, Elk Grove Village IL (178)
- West Pharmaceutical Services, Lionville PA (170)
- Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, Arlington Heights IL (160)
- Weather Shield, Park Falls WI (158)
- Dehler Manufacturing, Chicago IL (150)
- Global Suspension Systems, Bryan OH (142)
- Ampad Manufacturing, Mattoon IL (129)
- Bank of America, Tampa FL (113)
- Carole Hochman Designs, Williamsport PA (100)
- Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital, Salinas CA (100)
- The Swanson Group, Springfield OR (100)
- North Mountain Hospital, Phoenix AZ (99)
- FedEx National LTL, El Paso TX (99)
- Novartis, Schaumburg IL (81)
- Jeanerette Mills, Jeanerette LA (~ 80)
- City of Tacoma WA (79)
- Sara Lee, Bensenville IL (72)
- Sallie Mae, Fishers IN (70)
- Cenveo Inc, St. Louis MO (65)
- Lucas County, Toledo OH (50+)
- New Richmond School District, New Richmond OH (49)
- Rensselaer County, Rensselaer NY (39)
- Orchard Brands, Beverly MA (33)
- Pella Corp, Various US (33)
- City of Gary Indiana Fire Department (31)
- The Hewlett-Packard Company, Ocala FL (25 – 30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|