Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 12-17-10.
For the past week technology, business service, health care and manufacturing employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 12-17:
Technology topped the list, as Yahoo announced a 5% layoff effecting 650 employees while ITT Electronic Systems cut over 350 workers. Business service was next as CSC Applied Technology is trimming 486 employees.
Health care employer Western Pennsylvania Hospital is trimming 352 staffers, while Gulfcoast Oncology cuts total 197. CD/DVD manufacturer Cinram is cutting over 300 workers, while Honeywell Safety trims 275 staff and Smith and Wesson is laying off 250 employees.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 12/13/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 12/17/10:
- Yahoo, Sunnyvale CA (650)
- CSC Applied Technology Group, Ft. Campbell KY (486)
- Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh PA (352)
- ITT Electronic Systems, Ft. Wayne IN (> 350)
- Cinram, Olyphant PA (> 300)
- Honeywell Safety Products, Rock Island IL (275)
- Smith & Wesson Holding Corp, Springfield MA (250)
- RBC Insurance, Greenville SC (209)
- Gulfcoast Oncology Associates, St. Petersburg FL, Largo FL, Clearwater FL and Safety Harbor FL (197)
- ZipRealty, Phoenix AZ (195)
- Solyndra, Fremont CA (170)
- Graco/Newell Rubbermaid, Macedonia OH (153)
- Wells Fargo Corp, Concord CA (137)
- Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital, Salinas CA (120)
- Northrup Grumman Amherst Systems, Buffalo NY (120)
- Baxter International, Beltsville MD (106)
- C D Listening Bar (DeepDiscount.com), Ottawa IL (105)
- CustomPak, Westover MD (103)
- Passaic County, Passaic NJ (100)
- John C. Lincoln-North Mountain Hospital, Phoenix AZ (99)
- Shore Memorial Hospital, Somers Point NJ (95)
- Quad Graphics, Depew NY (95)
- Palm Harbor Homes, Tempe AZ (86)
- Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems, Bowling Green KY (80)
- Johnson & Johnson, PRD (Jansen Supply Chain), Springhouse PA (79)
- BankAtlantic, Various FL (75)
- Presby’s Inspired Life, Philadelphia PA (74)
- The New Jersey Turnpike Authority, Various NJ (66)
- Lifetime Doors, Watseka IL (61)
- Plastican (Division of BWAY Corp.), Phoenix AZ (54)
- Beau Rivage Resort and Golf Club, Wilmington NC (50)
- Olin Corp, Augusta GA (50)
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer MGM, Los Angeles (< 50)
- University of Alaska Fairbanks Arctic Region Supercomputing Center (> 45)
- CEMEX Construction Materials, Tucson AZ (41)
- Armstrong World Industries, Beaver Falls PA (30)
- The City of Lynnwood WA (30)
- Tompkins Cortland Community College, Dryden NY (30)
- MOD Systems, Seattle WA (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|