Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 12-31-10.
For the past week retail, manufacturing, healthcare, technology and transportation employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 12-31:
Retail topped the list, as AJ Wright closed a South Bend distribution center and laid off 725 workers as part of parent TJ Maxx cost cutting efforts. Manufacturer Masco Retail Cabinet Group cut 634 workers in Waverly OH, while Polaris eliminated 500 positions in Osceola WI when it announced that the company would move production to Mexico.
Healthcare provider Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers laid off 500 NYC employees. Government tech contractor ManTech cut 381 contractors supporting Ft. Bliss and Ft. Hood. Transportation company FedEx cut 321 OH and TX workers.
Real estate firm Zip Realty closed Texas offices Austin, Houston and Irving plus Towson MD, eliminating 292 positions.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 12/27/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 12/31/10:
- AJ Wright, South Bend IN (725)
- Masco Retail Cabinet Group, Waverly OH (634)
- Polaris, Osceola WI (500)
- Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers of New York, NYC NY (500)
- ManTech Technical Services Group, Fort Bliss TX and Fort Hood TX (381)
- FedEx, West Chester OH and El Paso TX (321)
- ZipRealty, Austin TX, Houston TX, Irving TX and Towson MD (292)
- Burger King Corp, Miami FL (260)
- AK Steel, Ashland KY (260)
- Transamerica Life Insurance, Dallas TX (247)
- Fresh-Cut Fruit, Fort Worth TX (272)
- Magna Steyr, Toledo OH (213)
- Gulfcoast Oncology Associates, St. Petersburg FL (197)
- Covidien, Oriskany Falls NY (169)
- Global Suspension Systems, Bryan OH (142)
- Worthington Precision Metals, Mentor OH (124)
- Omnicare MTM Pharmacy Services, Poughkeepsie NY and Utica (122)
- Hunterdon County, Flemington NJ (100)
- Passaic County NJ Sheriff’s Department, Passaic NJ (90)
- Caraustar Industries, Versailles CT (79)
- Apex Tool Group, Hicksville OH (79)
- Sears Holdings Corp, Orlando FL (77)
- Norwood Promotional Products, Janesville WI (72)
- MMI Products, Houston TX (70)
- ARAMARK – Hutchinson Technologies, Eau Claire WI (61)
- Beaumont Hospitals, Royal Oak MI (60)
- Vitarich Laboratories, Naples FL (60)
- Empire Vision Centers, East Syracuse NY (39)
- Everbrite, La Crosse WI (35)
- ExxonMobil Oil, Inwood NY (34)
- Fire Department, Gary IN (34)
- Yakima County Jail, Yakima WA (34)
- Rosa’s Home Stores, Cheektowaga NY (30)
- Montville Township School District, Montville NJ (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|