Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 1-7-11.
For the past week technology, manufacturing, retail, telecommunications, hospitality and transportation employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 1-7:
The year started out with a light week for layoffs – let’s hope this is a continuing trend for 2011.
Technology topped the list, as it was leaked to the news that Myspace is planning layoffs of up to 50% of its workforce or 550 workers. French auto parts manufacturer Faurecia cut 634 Missouri workers.
Warehouse retail chain BJ’s Wholesale Club is closing 5 southeastern locations in Atlanta GA, Sunrise FL and Charlotte NC, laying off 494 workers in these locations plus its Natick MA headquarters. Hospitality firm Semiahmoo Resort cut 321 staff from the Blaine WA hotel.
Trucking company Fil-Mor Express cut 264 workers from its Cannon Falls MN facility.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 1/3/11.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 1/7/11:
- Myspace, Beverly Hills CA (> 550)
- Faurecia, Dexter MO (542)
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Atlanta GA, Sunrise FL, Charlotte NC and Natick MA (494)
- AT&T, Various CT and MI (391)
- Semiahmoo Resort, Blaine WA (321)
- Fil-Mor Express, Cannon Falls MN (264)
- Electrolux Home Products, Webster City IA (262)
- Vineland Kosher Poultry, Vineland NJ (160)
- American Hardware Mutual Ins, Minnetonka MN (154)
- United Space Alliance, Cape Canaveral FL (150)
- CIT Group, Cleveland OH and Cincinnati OH (141)
- American Home Bank, West Chester PA (139)
- Fluor, Rockport IN (132)
- Genworth Financial, Richmond VA (130)
- Bath Iron Works, Portland ME (130)
- Fairchild Semiconductor, South Portland ME (120)
- SpectraWatt, Hopewell Junction NY (117)
- The Longaberger Co., Newark OH (95)
- Detroit Public Schools, Detroit MI (88)
- Troyer Farms, Waterford PA (77)
- Boston Scientific Corp, Doral FL (76)
- FNB Corp, Clarks Summit PA (76)
- Hercules, Louisiana MO (70)
- Quiznos, Denver CO (~69)
- MEDRAD Inc, Warrendale PA (60 – 70)
- Hines Nurseries, Forest Grove OR (56)
- Pfizer, Rouses Point NY (54)
- Faxton-St. Luke’s Healthcare, Utica NY (52)
- L-3 Communications, Waco TX (50)
- Orange NJ (50)
- Central Kansas Medical Center, Great Bend KS (~50)
- Supersol, Lawrence NY (47)
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Western New York, Buffalo NY (45)
- Berkshire Bank/Rome Savings Bank, Rome NY (43)
- MBI, Shreveport LA (40)
- West Orange NJ (35)
- General Dynamics. Sterling Heights MI (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|