Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 1-21-11.
For the past week financial services, engineering, aerospace, education, and banking employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 1-21:
Financial services topped the list, as it was reported that AMEX is planning layoffs of up 1,500 Greensboro NC processing center workers, citing lower volume driving its need to cut costs. Engineering firm CH2M, facing government funding cuts, is laying off 1,350 staff in Washington state.
Aerospace firm Boeing announced cuts of over 1,000 workers in Long Beach and Macon as it planned lower C-17 production volume. Career Education is shedding 600 staffers across the US, as lower enrollments caused the company to streamline operations.
Banking organization HSBC is cutting 500 customer service and collections positions in its New Castle DE facility.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 1/17/11.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 1/21/11:
- AMEX American Express, Greensboro NC (1,500)
- CH2M Hill Plateau Remediation, Hanford WA (1,350)
- Boeing, Long Beach CA and Macon GA (> 1,090)
- Career Education Corp, Various US (600)
- HSBC Bank, New Castle DE (500)
- Mission Support Alliance, Hanford WA (300)
- AM General, Mishawaka IN (300)
- Camden County, Camden NJ (300)
- Unified Solutions, Pleasant Prairie WI (228)
- Mercury Insurance Group, Los Angeles CA (165)
- Maine Military Authority, Limestone ME (152)
- KPMG LLP, Montvale NJ (100)
- LodgeNet Interactive, Sioux Falls SD (80)
- Northrop Grumman, Pascagoula MS (76)
- Universal Music Group, Various US (60)
- Arlington Public Schools, Arlington MA (60)
- The Vidor Independent School District, Vidor TX (56)
- Precision Flow Technologies, Saugerties NY (> 50)
- The Oklahoman Newspaper, Oklahoma City OK (46)
- Borders Group Bookstore, Ann Arbor MI (45)
- The Texas Engineering Extension Service, College Station TX (42)
- Dyno Nobel Inc, Port Ewen NY (40)
- The Isle Casino Hotel, Biloxi MS (36)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Charlotte NC (32)
- Saint Gobain Structural Ceramics Facility, Niagara Falls NY (32)
- Holme Roberts & Owen LLP, Devner CO (30)
- UtiliQuest LLC, Houston TX (30)
- City of Reno NV (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|