Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 1-28-11.
For the past week pharmaceuticals, retail, education, entertainment and government employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 1-28:
Pharmaceuticals topped the list, as Abbot Labs reported layoffs of up 1,900 workers, most of the cuts coming from its North Chicago IL manufacturing and headquarters locations. Retailer Lowe’s announced it would cut 1,700 workers from management and staff in stores throughout the country, while off-price retailer A.J. Wright announced a distribution center closure. trimming 800 workers.
Austin Independent School District showed that education may face another year of significant cuts as it announced layoffs of 485 employees. Entertainment company Disney Interactive is shedding up to 350 employees as it restructures operations to focus on social media and mobile games.
Government took hits also this week, as the Government of The US Virgin Islands announced that it was shedding 300 positions.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 1/24/11.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 1/28/11:
- Abbott Laboratories, North Chicago IL (1,900)
- Lowe’s Cos, Various US (1,700)
- A.J. Wright Distribution Center, Fall River MA (800)
- Austin Independent School District, Austin TX (485)
- Disney Interactive Group, Los Angeles CA and Austin TX (> 350)
- U.S. Virgin Islands Government, USVI (300)
- United Solutions, Pleasant Prairie WI (228)
- Kaplan University, Chicago IL (192)
- Yahoo, Sunnyvale CA (150)
- Innerpac & RTS Packaging, Cicero IL (149)
- Data Listing Services (dba The Connection), Penn Yan NY (145)
- Aegis Communications Group, Killeen TX (131)
- Elan Corp, South San Fransisco (130)
- Macy’s, Austin TX (127)
- Skagit Valley Hospital, Mount Vernon WA (127)
- Del-Jen (DJI), Tyndall Air Force Base FL (124)
- Bilingual Research Services, El Paso TX (121)
- Hines Nurseries, Richmond TX (106)
- ZipRealty, Maitland FL and Park Ridge IL (101)
- Hamilton Sundstrand, Hartford CT (100)
- Healthcare Uniform Co, Tampa FL (95)
- Caterpillar Logistics, Greenfield IN (84)
- Medtec Ambulance Corp, Goshen IN and White Pigeon MI (77)
- Milbank Manufacturing, Kokomo IN (75)
- General Motors, Indianapolis IN (75)
- Aerial Co, Marinette WI (75)
- Double Rock, New York NY (70)
- StarTek. Lynchburg VA (69)
- Arena Pharmaceuticals, San Diego CA (66)
- U.S. Bancorp, Milwaukee WI (64)
- The State Journal-Register, Springfield IL (63)
- Kmart, Sheboygan WI (62)
- Modineer Company, Niles MI (60)
- Hines Nurseries, Forest Grove OR (56)
- Nordyne, Boonville MO (50)
- Tyco Fire Protection, Boca Raton FL (49)
- Foliot Furniture, Greeneville TN (47)
- The Des Moines Register, Des Moines IA (41)
- Special Metals, Huntington WV (40)
- Saint Gobain, Niagara Falls NY (32)
- West Shore Medical Center, Manistee MI (32)
- UtiliQuest, Houston TX (30)
- Hawaiian Airlines, Honolulu HI (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|