Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 2-11-11.
For the past week government, banking, energy, retail, entertainment and airline employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 2-11:
Government topped the list, as it was reported that the U.S. Joint Forces Command is planning layoffs of 2,300 workers at its Suffolk VA facilities, due to streamlining and efficiency efforts. Banking firm Wilmington Trust laid off 721 employees as part of M&T Bank’s post-takeover restructuring of the Wilmington DE bank.
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co (A & P) cut 585 workers at a variety of its retail locations in PA, NJ and DE. Entertainment company Activision Blizzard announced layoffs of 500 Santa Monica CA workers as it streamlined it’s operations and announced it would no longer produce the popular Guitar Hero video game series.
Airline United Continental announced 500 Houston area job losses as it consolidates post-merger operations.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 2/7/11.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 2/11/11:
- U.S. Joint Forces Command, Suffolk VA (2,300)
- Wilmington Trust, Wilmington DE (721)
- Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co, Various PA, NJ and DE (585)
- Activision Blizzard, Santa Monica CA (500)
- United Continental Holdings, Houston TX (500)
- Camden County, Camden NJ (260)
- AAR Corp, Moyock NC (260)
- Ben-Ezra & Katz Law Firm, Ft. Lauderdale FL (236)
- Acuity Hospital, Houston TX (221)
- Comverse Technology, Various US (200)
- Cooper-Standard, Bowling Green OH (200)
- RehabCare Group, Clayton MO (200)
- C.R. Bard, Queensbury NY (200)
- Cub Foods, Minneapolis-St Paul MN (200)
- Mannkind. Los Angeles CA (180)
- RR Donnelley Norwest, Greeley CO (177)
- Deluxe Corp, Phoenix AZ (175)
- Motorola Solutions, Arlington Heights IL, Fort Worth TX, Tempe AZ (175)
- Cook County Circuit Clerk Court, Chicago IL (170)
- Gray Interplant Systems Inc, Peoria IL (167)
- Kmart Inc, Franklin Park IL and Washington IL (163)
- JC Penney, Cedar Hill TC and Rockwall TX (156)
- Kondaur Capital, Orange CA (155)
- Huntsville City Schools, Huntsville AL (150-200)
- Northrop Grumman, Orlando FL (150)
- City of Reno NV (146)
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Division, Des Moines IA (142)
- Rockwell Collins, Irvine CA (140)
- Elgin School District U46 Board of Education, Elgin IL (132)
- Real Networks, Seattle WA (130)
- Capella Education Co, Minneapolis MN (125)
- Hamilton Telecommunications, Aurora NE (125)
- San Antonio Independent School District, San Antonio TX (125)
- Amherst Systems, Buffalo NY (119)
- Armstrong World Industries, Statesville NC (114)
- Save Mart Supermarkets, Merced CA, Roseville CA and Vacaville CA (103)
- Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta GA (100)
- Guardian Life Insurance, Green Bay WI (100)
- Harry and David, Medford OR (90)
- Gold Standard Baking, Chicago IL (70)
- AGI North America, Jacksonville IL (70)
- Exel, Streetsboro OH (69)
- C.D. Listening Bar (DeepDiscount.com), Itasca IL (67)
- Doumak, Bensenville IL (60)
- Dynegy, Oakwood IL (57)
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Youngstown OH (50)
- Hamilton Township NJ (41)
- MacDill Air Force Base, Tampa FL (40)
- Masco Bath, Adamsville TN (33)
- New Jersey Casino Control Commission, Atlantic City NJ (33)
- Powell’s Books, Beaverton OR (31)
- Fiserv, Brookfield WI (30)
- PNC Financial Services, Dayton OH (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-13-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|