Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 2-18-11.
For the past week retail, health care, aerospace, agriculture and engineering employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 2-18:
Retail topped the list, as it was reported that Borders is laying off of 6,000 workers nationally due to 200 store closures to begin its bankruptcy recovery plan. Health care was next as medical device manufacturer Medtronic announced layoffs of 2,000 workers thruought the US to align costs to lower volume.
Aerospace firm United Space Alliance announced 549 layoffs responding to NASA winding down the space shuttle program. Agriculture firm Petit Jean Poultry is shutting its Arkadelphia AR plant and cutting 385 workers, after Tyson cut its contract with the poultry processing facility.
Engineering firm Pilchuck Contractors announced layoffs of 300 Peuget Sound WA employees, due to the loss of the Puget Sound Energy pipeline construction project.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 1/14/11.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 2/18/11:
- Borders, Various US (6,000)
- Medtronic, Various US (2,000)
- United Space Alliance, Titusville FL (549)
- Petit Jean Poultry, Arkadelphia AR (385)
- Pilchuck Contractors, Puget Sound WA (300)
- BASF Corp, McIntosh AL (250)
- John J. Foley Skilled Nursing Facility, Yaphank NY (242)
- Iowa Department of Human Services, Various IA (236)
- Interstate Brands (Wonder) Bakery, Jamaica NY (222)
- First Niagara Financial Group, New Haven CT and Manchester CT (219)
- Key Plastics, Hartford City IN (214)
- Penguin Windows, Mukilteo WA (210)
- Palm Plastics Ltd., Bowling Green OH (200)
- Welch Foods, Lawton MI (184)
- Robb & Stucky, Fort Meyers FL (178)
- Federal Mogul, Schofield WI (173)
- DAL Global Services, Seattle WA (168)
- Muller Martini Manufacturing Corp, Newport News VA (160)
- Kmart, Tabb VA (158)
- AbitibiBowater, Coosa Pines AL (150)
- NewPage Mill, Whiting WI (Approx 140)
- Russell Newman, Denton TX and NYC (136)
- North Lawrence Dairy, North Lawrence NY (132)
- Greatwide, Winter Haven FL (131)
- Bath Iron Works, Bath ME (130)
- Tabs Direct, Irving TX (125)
- Amherst Systems, Amherst NY (119)
- MISA Metals, Middletown OH (113)
- NewPage, Whiting WI (110-140)
- Save Mart Supermarkets, Modesto CA (103)
- The Wisconsin Cheeseman, Sun Prairie WI (102)
- Advanced Solutions for Tomorrow, Roswell GA and Fairfax VA (100-150)
- Perdue Farms, Georgetown DE (100)
- Aegis Communications Group, Killeen TX (100)
- Quillin’s Village Shopping Center, La Crosse WI (99)
- DJSP Enterprises, Plantation FL (96)
- The Chino Valley Unified School District, Chino CA (95)
- Francis Howell School District, St. Louis MO (90+)
- Caterpillar Logistics, Greenfield IN (84)
- Northside Medical Center, Trumbull Memorial Hospital, Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital, Youngstown OH and Warren OH (81)
- United Litho, Ashburn VA (80)
- The Detroit Public Library, Detroit MI (80)
- Aerial Company (subsidiary of Beauty Systems Group), Marinette WI (77)
- Current USA, Virginia Beach VA (70)
- StarTek, Lynchburg VA (69)
- TriNet, Lakewood Ranch FL and San Leandro CA (68)
- Camden County Prosecutor’s Office, Camden NJ (66)
- Ruan Logistics, Eau Claire WI (63)
- Special Metals, Huntington WV (62)
- Classic Party Rentals, Bronx NY (60)
- Lafayette School Corp, Lafayette IN (~ 60)
- Smithfield Packaging, Smithfield VA (53)
- Harland Clarke Holdings, Milton WA (53)
- Vicarious Vision, Menands NY (50)
- BAE Systems, York PA (50)
- Grant Wood Area Education Agency, Cedar Rapids IA (50)
- GlaxoSmithKline US Neurosciences Group, Various US (> 50)
- Tyco Fire Products, Boca Raton FL (49)
- The Dress Barn, Suffern NY (47)
- Restaurant Associates, New York NY (47)
- The Buckingham Hotel, New York NY (33)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|