Who’s Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 3-11-11.
For the past week government, technology, pharmaceutical and manufacturing employers announced the largest layoffs.
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. Information listing layoffs can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Top Layoffs week ended 3-11:
Government topped the list, as it was reported that the State of Wisconsin is laying off 1,500 employees statewide as a part of budget cuts and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District is cutting more than 559 teachers and staff. Technology company Hutchinson Technology was next as it announced layoffs of 700-900 Hutchinson MN workers employees in reaction to recent losses.
Pharmaceutical company Eisai cut 600 staff throughout the US. Cosmetics manufacturer Whitman Packaging announced 535 layoffs as parent Estee Lauder prepares to close the Long Island plant. Auto manufacturer Magna Internation will (at least temporarily) layoff 450 Howell MI workers after a recent fire destroyed a significant amount of production capacity. In related auto manufacturing layoff news, New Process Gear (an East Syracuse subsidiary of Magna) announced 427 layoffs as it continues to prepare for plant closure.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as layoffs from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 3/7/11.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 3/11/11:
- State of Wisconsin, Various WI (1,500)
- Hutchinson Techonlogy, Hutchinson MN (700-900)
- Eisai Co, Various US (600)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg School district, Charlotte NC (> 559)
- Whitman Packaging, Islandia NY (535)
- Magna International, Howell MI (450)
- New Process Gear (Division of Magna Powertrain), East Syracuse NY (427)
- St Vincent Catholic Medical Centers of New York – Bishop Mugavero Center Geriatric Care, Brooklyn NY (348)
- St Vincent Catholic Medical Centers of New York, St Jerome’s Health Services – Holy Family Home, Brooklyn NY (283)
- Waldbaum’s, Farmingdale NY, Smithtown NY and Valley Stream NY (258)
- A&P, Carmel NY, New Rochelle NY, Portchester NY and White Plains NY (234)
- Comcast Cable, Sarasota FL and Denver CO (229)
- Morgan Stanley, Various US (200-300)
- AOL, Various US (200)
- Mount Diablo School District, Concord CA (180)
- School District U46, Elgin, IL (180)
- M&M Restaurant Supply, Springfield OH (171)
- Great Plains Energy, Kansas City MO (150)
- North Lawrence Dairy, North Lawrence NY (132)
- New Jersey Casino Control Commission, Atlantic City NJ (110)
- Courier Corp, Stoughton MA (110)
- Pathmark, Commack NY and Hartsdale NY (212)
- South Bay Union School District, Imperial Beach CA (100+)
- Family Dollar, Matthews NC (100)
- Pathmark, Brooklyn NY (100)
- Alstyle Apparel Inc, Anaheim CA (98)
- Renaissance Chicago Oak Brook Hotel, Oak Brook IL (94)
- Palm Springs Unified School District, Palm Springs CA (90)
- Jabil Circuit, St. Petersburg FL (90)
- ArchCare Inc. (St. Vincent de Paul Residence), Bronx NY (85)
- Clayton County Schools, Clayton GA (75)
- Uptown Chevrolet-Cadillac, New York NY (70)
- Hyosung USA, Utica NY (70)
- RR Donnelley, Long Island, NY (69)
- St. Cabrini Home, West Park NY (69)
- Ultimate Electronics, Albany NY, Cheektowaga NY and Syracuse NY (97)
- Tops Markets, Lockport NY (64)
- AT&T, Schaumburg IL (60)
- Level Global Investors, New York NY (57)
- United Pet Group Companion Animal Division, (a subsidiary of Spectrum Brands Inc.), Islandia NY (52)
- The Thomas Monahan Co, Arcola IL (52)
- Raytheon Missile Systems, Louisville KY (51)
- Smead Manufacturing, Hastings MN (50)
- Tropicana Casino and Resort, Atlantic City NJ (50)
- Longwood School District, Middle Island NY (50+)
- Chapdelaine Credit Partners, New York, NY (48)
- Reed Group, East Greenbush NY (41)
- The Times Publishing Co, Erie PA (40)
- B of A Bank of America, Hunt Valley MD (39)
- Research Foundation, The City University of New York (CUNY), New York NY (37)
- Xerox Supply Distribution Center, Suffern NY (36)
- DBX Inc.(subsidiary of The Dress Barn) Distribution Center, Suffern NY (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoffs, or employers planning to reduce large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-7-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-21-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 6-11-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...||Who’s Firing – Layoffs week ended 5-14-10 Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended...|