The chances of you being hired for each individual job you apply to via a job board are 10,000 to 1.
CareerBuilder published a study of hiring managers showing that only 10% of new hires came from job boards. When you combine this statistic with the other applicants (most who have come through job boards) competing with you for each advertised job, you’ll see that you and an average 1,000 other applicants all vie for a 10% chance that one of you will be hired for that position, or a 10,000 to 1 odds.
This seems like long odds, but without any basis of comparison, it’s difficult to see how hopeless job board applications can be.
Let’s compare the odds of being hired for an individual job you’ve applied to from a job board to other odds to make comparisons.
Comparisons to odds of applying to jobs through job boards:
- You’re over three times more likely to be hit by lightning … in your lifetime … than being hired by applying through a job board (Odds of getting hit by lightning in your lifetime 3,000 to 1).
- You’re 30% more likely to be considered possessed by Satan than being hired by applying through a job board (Odds of being considered possessed by Satan: 7,000 to 1).
- You’re almost 9 times more likely to be hired by applying through a job board than dating a supermodel (Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1).
- You’re a tad less likely to bowl a perfect game than being hired through a job board (Odds of bowling a 300 game: 11,500 to 1).
- You’re twice as likely to hit a hole in one than being hired through a job board (Odds of getting a hole in one: 5,000 to 1).
- OK, you’re way less likely to be an astronaut than being hired through a job board … except maybe if you apply to be an astronaut through an online ad (Odds of being an astronaut: 13,200,000 to 1).
- You’re 60 times more likely to be hired through a job board than winning a medal at the Olympics (Odds of winning an Olympic medal: 662,000 to 1).
- You’re about 20 times more likely to catch a ball at a major league ballgame than being hired through a job board (Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563 to 1). I don’t know about you, but I’ve only caught one major league ball once (and I think that’s awfully unfair).
- You’re twice as likely to get hired through a job board than being a professional athlete (Odds of becoming a pro athlete: 22,000 to 1) … so there’s still hope!
- Your odds of being hired through a job board are the same as finding a 4 leaf clover on the first try (Odds of finding a four-leaf clover on first try: 10,000 to 1) – Consider it your lucky day.
- Be careful while washing up – You’re almost 4 times more likely to slip and die in the bath/shower than being hired through a job board (Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1).
- You’re a little more likely to be hired through a job board than an armed service member winning the Congressional Medal of Honor (Odds of a person in the military winning the Medal of Honor: 11,000 to 1).
- This probably isn’t for Best Actress, but you’re almost as likely to win an Academy Award than getting hired through a job board (Odds of winning an Academy Award: 11,500 to 1).
- You’re six times more likely to be hired through a job board than being able to retire from your Antiques Roadshow profits (Odds of striking it rich on Antiques Roadshow: 60,000 to 1).
- OK you’ve for a lot better chance of getting hired for an opportunity when you apply through a job board than dying from a shark attack or measles (300 million to 1), from a dog bite (20 million to 1), from parts falling from an airplane (10 million to 1), from contact with hot water (5 million to 1), from food poisoning (3 million to 1), from an asteroid colliding with earth in the next 100 years (500,000 to 1), from being murdered (18,000 to 1), or dying in a car accident (18,585 to 1). But you’re only twice as likely of being hired for a specific job from an ad than being wrongly declared dead by Social Security (23,483 to 1).
- For more positive odds than death, you also have a much better chance of being hired for an opportunity you apply for trough job boards than winning the lottery (18 million to 1), becoming a saint (20 million to 1), spotting a UFO today (3 million to 1), or becoming President (10 million to 1).
Hopefully, the overwhelming comparisons I’ve presented can help you realize how hopeless applying to jobs through job boards can be.
There’s a better way … the hidden job market.
Odds data courtesy of ( http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0623_040623_lightningfacts.html, http://www.divinecaroline.com/22321/52471-odds#ixzz2EIc7dZva, and http://www.funny2.com/odds.html).-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to do more than just complain about a bad economy?
To attend our next complimentary live webinar featuring action items to double your resume response rate and number of interviews, plus live career Q&A with Phil Rosenberg of reCareered, register at http://ResumeWebinar.com .
Available Now On Smashwords And Amazon: Job Search Secrets - Rethink Your Job Search Now, By Phil Rosenberg
Phil shows you why your current job search strategies work against you and how to replace them with strategies that improve your odds. Phil provides you with research - cold, hard statistics provided by job boards and hiring managers themselves, to show you what works for you and against you in the worst job market in our lifetimes.
Download Job Search Secrets on Amazon
Download Job Search Secrets On Smashwords
Join our mailing list for newsletters, announcements of complimentary upcoming webinars and other job search resources. Sign up at http://www.reCareered.com/newsletter/
For access to more information:
Connect to Phil Rosenberg on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/company/recareered.com
Like reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reCareered
Follow Phil Rosenberg on Google+: http://gplus.to/philrosenberg
Follow reCareered on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philreCareered
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
You might also like
|Cutting The Job Board Umbilical Cord Job boards are one of the worst ways to search for a new job. "How can this be true?", You think...||The Easy Way To Job Search vs The Effective Way Which would you choose? The easy way to job search or the effective way? Sure, few people like...||7 Reasons Heavy Resume Customization Rewards Your Job Search Here's the first of 9 best practices included in my complimentary Resume Revolution! webinar (register...||All Job Opportunities Are Not Created Equal No job opportunity is 100% but there are some opportunities where you'll have better odds to land...|